Sunday, September 25, 2011

Love Thine Ego


Here is "Finding Your Howl" by Johnathon Flaum: http://changethis.com/manifesto/51.01.YourHowl/pdf/51.01.YourHowl.pdf

Within Part II of Flaum’s article there’s a story a fellow classmate of his wrote in fifth grade.  The story held an everlasting impact on Flaum’s life and was actually quite an advanced representation of life.  The story is one of a Tiger who is caged in a zoo and constantly plans his escape from the cage.  Unfortunately every time he knows his escape plan the tiger finds himself in another cage.  His misfortune is infinite and in the mind of Flaum represents that no matter how far you run from yourself you’ll see the same thing in your mirror.


MY CREATIVE SELF
The quote I’ve chosen to link to my own creative self is by my favorite author / philosopher Ayn Rand, "Love thine ego, for it is who you are."
            This line has not only influenced my life entirely, but has found its way into all of my writings as I further advance myself as a screenwriter.  It also sort of goes hand in hand with what Flaum was talking about.
            Flaum seems to be all about looking within yourself for that is where your true creativity lies.  You’ll be at your best only when you harness what’s best inside of you and use your own genuine style, thoughts and feelings.  When we begin to rely on others to advance ourselves in the world is when we begin to lose control of who we truly are and the capacity we hold to become something bigger than our own being.
            However with Ayn Rand we find a bit more of an extreme version of this idea of self.  Ayn Rand is in full support of shutting off all other aspects of the world that don’t pertain to you.  She believes what is truly important is to put yourself above anything and anyone else, for if you don’t truly appreciate yourself how in the hell could you possibly appreciate others? How could you love someone else when you don’t understand who you are and what you are compatible with?  It all comes back to your ego, your true personality.
            The world seems to have created this negative connotation with the word “ego” that kills me.  Why should we think negatively of appreciating who we are, in fact there is less to be thought of someone who has no ego rather than a big one.
            Now I’m not saying I’m an egotistical asshole who sees no one, but himself, however I did use to be the kid who was so self conscious that my ego practically didn’t exist.  Ayn Rand was able to help me find my ego and a reason to put my work and own thoughts above others, for who is anyone else to tell me when I’m stepping outside the box.
            With that said, Ayn Rand is the sole reason I have any form of creativity in the world.  Not only am I capable of remaining my true self within social aspects, but my voice and self now translate through my pen and into the eyes of my peers.
            I fully feel comfortable writing what comes to my mind because even if its not accepted by anyone its accepted by me and that’s what truly matters.  With that thought digesting in my brain I found myself capable of writing anything without the manipulation of others.   There are so many different forms of writing in this world both liberal and conservative as well as both Shakespere and Roald Dohl, who truly knows what the best form of writing is.
            In my eyes my writing is the best form of writing and I’m not gonna get anywhere if I lose that mindset.  Believing in yourself seems to be over half the battle these days, the rest we learn along the way.  Ayn Rand has helped me see that.  She’s helped me realize some rules are meant to be broken and that some advice is simply advice, not a solution to your writing.  Love thine ego, for it is who you are…I am a creative writer, the scripts that form from my fingers are my self.

No comments:

Post a Comment